Much has been said about the "head of the house".
Today we will start a short series on what the bible says who the head of the house is, and how both the husband and wife should participate.
As his created role in life, man was given a natural desire to be preeminent within the family. To be responsible in this position of leadership of his family, man must be held accountable to the duties pursuant to this capacity or office.
There are four (4) basic areas of responsibilities that man (the husband) must take on in a marriage relationship. These ordinances were given to him by spiritual right, they encompass the following areas:
- The Pacesetter
- The Protector
- The Provider
- The Example
The husband example: I Timothy 4:12, “Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity”. Titus 2:7,8 “in all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility, sound speech that cannot be condemned, that one who is an opponent may be ashamed, having nothing evil to say of you”.
These two passages of scripture definitely outline your pattern to show how to walk as a husband and a man of God, i.e. The Pacesetter.
- Man, as being the head of the family unit, must establish by example the ways of God. He should portray the characteristics of god and live by them before his family to the very best of his capabilities. This he cannot do without being led and empowered by the Holy Spirit. Remember this thought; our actions speak so loud they (our family) cannot hear a word we are saying.
- Marriage, Christ and the church; Ephesians 5: 22-25, “wives submit to your own husbands, as to the lord. For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and he is the savior of the body. Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything. Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave himself for her…”
- “Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shall bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee”. (Genesis 3:15)
- Guide being described as “leader” when one submits, they must submit to leadership, should they have reason to submit. For “the husband is head of the wife”. Caution, take note husbands, don’t go shaking your head, uh, uh, or yesss! For you see as Christ gave himself (for) the church, so are the husbands to give of themselves to their wives (Ephesians 5:25 - see verse above).
- We, as husbands are to be sacrificial for our wife as Christ who died and gave himself for the church. One of the first commandments given to women was, “thy desire shall be to their husband and he shall rule over thee”. (Gen 3:16 - see verse above).
- Consider this: How can a man possibly rule over anything or anybody if he is not willing to lead or guide? Paul the apostle said that the woman is to reverence her husband, and submit themselves unto their own husband, not to the neighbor or friend’s husband, but reverence their own husband. I Peter 3: 1.
- So men this puts the direct responsibility of us to lead and guide our wives with all diligence, and to attain this type of diligence we must receive it from the word of god and the Holy Spirit.
On our next study we will search out the husband and "the protector".
Until next time, blessings to you and your family!
Pixabay Nemo/ 29518 images